Co-op Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Co-op Community

Community forums for co-opconsensus.com

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

De Blob Wii Review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
PLEASE1TIME

PLEASE1TIME

De Blob Wii Review Empty
PostSubject: De Blob Wii Review   De Blob Wii Review Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 1:17 am

In this game you play as De Blob a character that is leading the colorful revolution against the domineering INKT corp. which has taken over and drained Chroma City of its color and enslaved the citizens to do their off-color tasks.
First off I'd like to say that I've played through the first 3 levels with my kids and haven't acutally completed the game yet, but if my impressions have changed after this posting I'll edit or update it. The game begins with 2 modes and maps for up to 4 player multiplayer or the option to start story mode. As you complete more levels and objectives in story mode you unlock more modes and levels for multiplayer, free paint, and extras (such as cut scenes, movies, galleries, etc.).
Some of the multiplayer modes are painting competitively (similar to the old Tony Hawk's spot battle where you swap back and forth ownership of locations, except this time with paint), a verses where only one can claim the spots at a time by painting them, and then later you'll unlike a racing mode where buildings and locations to paint unlock randomly around the map and you have to beat the other player to get to them first as these can't be paint swapped. Its a cute but limited split screen multiplayer thats added to a pretty exceptional though simple platformer.
The story mode is a very simple, but thoroughly enjoyable platformer with one ultimate goal...PAINT EVERYTHING! You start simple with just getting a color and painting almost everything you touch. As the game progresses you can do more things such as Z jumps using the Z button on the nun chuk and swinging the Wii remote, enemy slams by swing the Wii remote, etc. The controls are basic with the analog on the nun chuk controlling movement and direction, a swing upward with the Wii remote to do a jump, and the options to control the camera with the D-pad (which can be iritating at times, but isn't necessary that often). As you progress you can do goals such as paint races, INKT smashing, jump races, specific paint challenges, and so on to progress the story and your way through Chroma leading your revolution to triumph and bringing the downfall of the INKT Corp.
After completing a level you can play it in Free Paint mode or replay it to get as many goals and objectives done as possible. In that regard the replayability is pretty substantial as you have many objectives that could keep you coming back. If you do well enough in each level of story mode you'll get a medal rating based on your score (bronze, silver, gold) which will also unlock special Time Trial-like mini challenges that you can try to get your best time on. A level can be beaten quickly by clearing through and painting fast, but often my kids and I would take turns painting every building to free its little citizens and color them and the area which ended with about an hr per level and plenty of simple fun. My favorite part of the game was its style and the music in it. The game may be geared toward kids, but the slick presentation, music, and quite honestly pretty spot-on 3rd party Wii contols had me enjoying myself.
Overall as I've said the controls are pretty solid, the style, and especially some of the music make this simple platformer more than just a kid friendly game. But though it may draw and keep you playing for a while, unless your a true completionist after finishing the campaign if not a few levels most hardcore gamers will not need to come back to De Blob. With a lack (like many Wii games) of online, limited motions control, and quite honestly repetative though enjoyable gameplay De Blob isn't an A-list game, but one you shouldn't miss as a well done 3rd party Wii game is in short supply. If you have kids and a Wii it might be worth buying otherwise give it a rental until De Blob 2 comes out.

I give De Blob 3.5 out 5 stars. Though I don't know where the stars are?

Last edited by PLEASE1TIME on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JesusMaximus

JesusMaximus

De Blob Wii Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: De Blob Wii Review   De Blob Wii Review Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:29 am

Nice review my friend. Like I said in another post, I don't know what it is about the Wii, perhaps my attraction towards childish games, but I've been drawn more and more into what it's doing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.co-opconsensus.8k.com

De Blob Wii Review
Page 1 of 1